Friday 31 January 2014

What's the plan, Phil??

Today's post has a very simple motivation behind it. I was watching a movie today which I was not expecting to be quite so depressing as it was, and it put me in a bit of a slump. There's really no practical explanation behind this; it centred around life events which I feel myself to already be past. . . mainly having to worry about school. I've never been a slouch academically and so these worries have been absent from my life. I tried to explain a weird feeling I have about school to a close friend recently though. I almost want it to be harder. It's not that school was just easy for me in that five-year-old-math-prodigy kind of way - trust me, I worked for every good grade I ever received - it's that I feel as though I'll never really be satisfied until I've had to go full on, flat out to get what I want. Moving on.

The answer to de-slumping wasn't going to be reading today. After finishing Dunant's Blood and Beauty, I started in on The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. If you haven't heard of the novel yet, it's been getting major press this past year as an 800-and-some-word literary undertaking, and winner of the 2013 Man Booker Prize. At the same time, I began Alice Munro's collection of short stories, Dear Life. Please tell me you've heard of this one. Canadian. Nobel Prize for Lit. All I can say so far is pick it up. It's not a heck of a big time commitment (the stories are only around 30-40 pages), but it's so satisfying to read the work of something who knows what they're doing and can do whatever it is in a limited number of pages without you feeling that it was meant to be either longer or shorter. The ability to compose short fiction is a very impressive talent indeed.

So why with both of these fantastic works to choose from did I deem it a literature-less afternoon? Because I decided instead to look at clothes on the internet. These items are adorable and remind me that it's not always going to -39 (celsius) with windchill.
"Presentation and Accounted For" - Modcloth

"In Due Corsage" - Modcloth
"Promoting Elegance" - Modcloth
"Madeline" - Out of Print
 -Colleen
P.S. http://outofprintclothing.com/ is a website you should definitely check out if you haven't already.

4 comments:

  1. Those dresses are adorable. I may have to check out Modcloth. I've been meanng to pick Dear Life, but my list of "to buy's" is so long that I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder! I just followed you through google friend connect.

    http://adelicaterosiebeauty.blogspot.com/

    Follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's killing me not to buy one but I have to save for school haha Let me know how you like the book!

      Delete
  2. Modcloth dresses always get me. Such beautiful picks! Coming from the bloghop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girlfriend, I love the 3rd dress "Promoting Elegance".
    I'm your newest follower from blog hop and following you via GFC,
    Please feel free to drop by, follow and leave comments @ www.revampspunkyrena.blogspot.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete