Monday 2 July 2012

It sounds just disgusting enough to be fabulous

Today's bizarre quotation comes from the TV show "Gilmore Girls." I realize this series hasn't actually been on television for several years now, but a few months back something made me think of it so I've been re-watching all of the seasons. It's actually incredible how much I want to be a Gilmore. Sadly, even if this were a possibility, I don't think I'd be accepted into the clan due to my general distaste for all things coffee; Starbucks' "pumpkin spice latte" may be helping me combat this issue though. Only time will tell.
Note the coffee cups.
In book news, I finished reading William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying this morning. I found it an extremely interesting read, but it's definitely one that I'll need time to think over. Some research would likely help as well since I really feel as though I didn't understand it entirely and am definitely not above seeking out the opinions of those that might have. Next up on the reading roster is Henry James' short novel The Turn of the Screw. I haven't started it yet, and I'm planning to wait to do so until tomorrow. Then I can sit outside in the sun which will hopefully help me be less freaked out by the story (I'm not sure what the novel's effect on me will be yet, but I'm hedging my bets). I can't directly apply today's quotation to James' novel, but allow me to slightly adapt it by stating that The Turn of the Screw "sounds just [creepy] enough to be fabulous." Mr. James has yet to let me down, so the forecast is looking pretty good.

Have any of you read it? Do you ever step outside your comfort zone with literature/film/television or do you find yourself falling back on old favourites? Between this ghost story and the Gilmore antics, I seem to be doing a little of both at the moment.

-C

4 comments:

  1. I've never read Faulkner. In fact, I've really fallen off in the reading department recently... Due to the limited selection at my local library, I embarked on a journey of reading all the classics I missed out on at school. I did quite well for a while, but since I've started writing my own book, I find that reading too much tends to interfere with my ability to think about my own story. Hopefully I'll finish soon so I can get back to my books!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. Local library limitations are definitely something I've run up against more than once. It makes sense also that reading something else would conflict with your own thought process; even reading more than one book can once can do that! Best of luck with your own book!!

      Delete
  2. I read Light in August by Faulkner not too long ago, and I actually really enjoyed it. You should definitely check it out, if you haven't read it already!

    Also, Gilmore Girls is the greatest show in the history of television. I rewatch the entire series multiple times a year. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read that one! Thanks for the recommendation, I really appreciate it!! ahaha that's amazing :) I totally agree; greatest. show. ever.

      Delete