Monday 16 July 2012

Pain like this seems inseparable from perfection

Allow me first off to clarify that today's titular quotation does not refer to any sort of physical injury I've sustained or personal trauma I've encountered since last I wrote. The line comes from L. M. Montgomery's Anne's House of Dreams and the feeling of pain is meant to be connected to an intense sensation experienced upon seeing something very beautiful; also referred to by Anne as "the queer ache." This juxtaposition in feelings is something extremely enjoyable for me in literature and film. It lends a satisfying tension to the work and often composes that illusive feeling of being moved by what you read or watch.

Something similar to this feeling exists in the film I watched last night: Carlos Saura's "Don Giovanni." You may already be familiar with this title as the famous opera. The film gives a sort of fictionalized background as to said opera's creation by composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and lyricist Lorenzo Da Ponte. If you've read my review of "Il Deserto Rosso" (here), you can easily imagine how a colourful, vibrant, period film like this would stand in stark contrast. For the overarching effect of a large, brilliant spectacle, you could likely find similarities in films such as "The Phantom of the Opera" (I'm thinking of the 2004 Gerard Butler version). However, I was impressed by a few unique production choices made in "Don Giovanni" that did an excellent job of echoing the feeling of watching a live onstage performance.

Blocking (placement of characters within the space) was done to a tee and a couple of times further accentuated through the use of tableau. If you're up on your classic films, I think you could compare this tableau and posed crowd effect to the race scene in "My Fair Lady." The other effect that I found very interesting was the use of screens. Occasionally, a printed screen would be used as the backdrop, both in rooms and outdoor settings. They were clearly artificial, but gave a strong feeling of watching a play within a play (or, to be more accurate, an opera within a film). Once, the audience's attention was even specifically drawn to the artificiality of the backgrounds as a character remarked that he was looking after the books in an illustrious library; all of the walls in the library, including the shelves as well as the books upon them, were nothing but hanging backdrops. Screens were used again to achieve extremely smooth transitions between scenes. The scene you were watching would seem to take place in a solid building, then the lights would dim, while other lights on the opposite side of the wall would raise revealing the wall to have been only a screen the whole time. The camera would film the newly illuminated figures on the other side of the screen through the transparent backdrop until switching camera angles to bring the back room into the forefront.

Now for a little of something else I promised you in my last post. I've really been trying hard to take good care of my skin lately. My blog deals a lot with many different areas, but beauty products are definitely one of my interests. In that vein, we most often come across blogs focusing on skincare for the face alone. I can tell you what sort of products I do use on my face if you're interested, but today's review will actually be dealing with body products instead. The Body Shop has had a summer sale on (it still is on online, I'm not sure about in-store) so I swung by and picked up a couple of items. One of these is their body scrub in "Mango," which did not disappoint in terms of providing a scent true to its name. This scrub smells so fantastic you'll have to stop yourself from grabbing a spoon and just shovelling the contents into your mouth. Honestly, it does smell THAT good. Besides the scent, this product has been working really well for me so far. It's quite a thick texture, but I find that you can work it in decently well, even on dry skin. It claims to be for very dry skin, which is great because it doesn't leave your skin feeling super worn out, but rather soft and moisturized instead.
I wish you guys could smell this stuff! UH-mazing.
To seal in the feeling of goodness the scrub leaves on my skin, I then lather on Lubriderm's Advanced Therapy Lotion. I've only been using these products for a little while, but my skin feels amazing, and it smells pretty good too!!
Oops! I didn't realize how blurry this was!

-C

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the Body Shop's mango body scrub. It smells divine and works so well, too. The only problem I find is that my container always seems to get sticky as I use it and eventually becomes difficult to close. It's worth it, though!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, I've noticed that some granules get stuck to the threads of the container, but I've been wiping it off pretty vigilantly so hopefully it stays good!

      Delete
  2. I love Body Shop stuff, especially the body butter and the soap bars! I could spend a fortune in there haha! Would you like to follow each other hun? I really like your blog! xox

    My Blog : The Style Khaleesi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so could I! Sure, I'll head right over!

      Delete
  3. I really like your blog, and found it through the BBU Blog hop :).

    Check mine out: www.onlycharlottsometimes.blogspot.co.uk :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot!! I'm happy to come over and have a look!

      Delete
  4. ii adore body shop stuff!

    www.divagirlstrikesagain.blogspot.co.uk

    Natali xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. uhh I can imagine how nice that smell of mango body scrub by body shop is xoxo
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much amazing haha Sure, I'll come check out your blog!

      Delete
  6. nice post!! i want that scrub..!!

    http://raniakoukouroukou.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete